Monday, 8 October 2012

José Saramago Month

As I surreptitiously wrote in a post in August, I'm devoting November to celebrate José Saramago's 90th birthday. Yes, I'm now officially announcing the José Saramago Month:


This is my small contribution to keeping alive the memory of my favourite novelist, the author of Blindness, Baltasar and Blimunda and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ. If Saramago (1922-2010) were alive today, next November 16 he would have been 90. Therefore I can't let this important date pass unnoticed, uncelebrated.

What can readers expect from this event? Reviews, lots of reviews, of his plays, his novels, and his diaries. And much more. I hope to make this an interesting and entertaining event that, hopefully, will get other readers curious about José Saramago.

Although this initiative is but my affectionate way of remembering him, you are all invited to join it and read something by him, and post your reviews on your own blogs. Saramago won the Nobel Prize in 1998 and he's one of the best and most popular Portuguese novelists of the 20th century, and has many novels available in English. So it's easy to participate.

12 comments:

  1. Great idea for a reading month!

    . As you know I recently read altasar and Blimunda and loved it. I have been really wanting to read "Blindness" so maybe I can get it in before November ends and join you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, thanks!

      Blindness is an excellent novel. It's great that you're thinking of joining, it'd be nice if more people participated in the event.

      I'm going to re-read All the Names myself.

      Delete
    2. OK I am in! I am going to read and blog on "The Stone Raft". I loved the movie blindness but found one scene so disturbing that I am a little squeamish about the book.

      Delete
    3. Brian, it's great that you're joining the event. I'm very curious to read your thoughts about The Stone Raft.

      Delete
    4. Ok, my commentary is up!

      http://briansbabblingbooks.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-stone-raft-jose-saramago.html

      Delete
    5. Brian, thanks for participating in this little event. I'll put your link on a post this weekend.

      Delete
  2. I gave this the old plugeroo on Twitter. I'm eager to read your thoughts.

    With any luck I will get to Ricardo Reis, which I have meant to read for the past six months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the plug, Tom.

      It'd be great if you could join with The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis. That is possibly his best novel, a work of genius, full of wild imagination.

      Delete
  3. Miguel - What perfect timing! I just started All The Names yesterday, prompted by the wonderful talk on Saramago by Margaret Jull Costa that I attended in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seraillon, that's excellent! All the Names is one of his best novels, a great portrait of loneliness and bureaucracy.

      Delete
  4. I'll be closely following this event. I miss losing myself in the middle of those unbroken paragraphs. And the profusion of commas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rise, thanks for showing interest. I'll try to keep it engaging by discussing books that aren't in English.

      Delete