Monday, 8 October 2012

German Literature Month 2012


I should have already posted this. Caroline and Lizzy are hosting German Literature Month. Since I'm relatively new to book blogging I missed last year's event. This initiative is most welcome since I'm very ignorant of most literature in the German literature, save a smattering of Franz Kafka, Goethe and Günter Grass. And Heinrich Böll; I keep forgetting once, many years ago, I read the excellent novel The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum.

I figured this would be a good opportunity to clear out some books from my growing list and an incentive to read some books I keep postponing. So I've ordered Hermann Broch's The Sleepwalkers and Elfriede Jelinek's Wonderful, Wonderful Times. These two have been on my mind for years now, and I finally have solid motives to read them.

4 comments:

  1. More Austrians, all right! Those two should provide a pleasing contrast in style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's true, you're also reading Austrians. Which ones have you chosen, Tom?

      Delete
  2. I am more or less set on reading some of Schnitzler's prose and also some George Trakl poems. I have been toying with doing a lot more Austrian reading - a lot more in that turn of the century period, I mean. But not all packed into November; that would be nuts.

    I had planned to read an enormously long, enormously dull Stifter novel, too, but that also began to seem nuts. This winter, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schnitzler's Dream Story is an excellent novella! One day I'll have to try his plays.

    ReplyDelete